Keep It Safe and Legal

Fundraising should be fun, but it’s important that everything is safe and legal, for everyone involved. Plan ahead, and you’ll get things right.

Look Good Feel Better cannot be held liable for accidents, injuries, loss or damages as a result of your event.

Stay safe whilst fundraising


If you’re holding an event in a public place, you must get permission first, either from the local authority or the property owner.


If you plan to take photos of other people at your fundraiser, please make attendees aware that photography/ filming will be taking place and how you intend to use that content.

First aid

If you’re holding an event involving many people, make sure that you have appropriate first aid support in place. You can get advice from St John Ambulance or the British Red Cross. As a basic guide, there should always be someone on hand to help for smaller events, but for larger events involving around 500 people, there should be a minimum of two qualified first-aiders on site. If your event is even bigger than this, please give our fundraising team a call on 01372 747500.


If your event involves the general public, it’s important to have Public Liability Insurance in place. Check first to see if your venue already has this (as will often be the case). If you’re holding an event at home or on private property, check your insurance covers this too.

Fundraising with food

To keep everyone safe, check the Food Standards Agency guidelines on preparing, handling, cooking and storing food.

Public collections

Holding a collection in a public place can be a great way to raise funds and awareness. You’ll need permission from either the local authority
or land/venue owner before you can begin your collection. We can provide you with proof that you’re collecting for us, along with collection
buckets. Please keep a record of what you’ve collected in case you’re asked for the accounts.

Raffles or lotteries

You don’t need a licence if you’re only selling tickets at your event and drawing the raffle on the same day. If you’re planning a larger raffle or want to sell tickets online or to the public in advance of the event, you may need a licence and there will be ticket printing costs. Find the regulations at

Other fundraising which may require a licence

In addition to public collections and lotteries some other things require a licence too, such as using recorded music, putting banners or signs in public spaces etc. Please contact the local authority to find out which licences you need for your fundraising.

Data protection

Only collect the information you need. Keep it safe, do not share it and only keep it for as long as you need. You can find information about how we protect anduse personal data in our privacy policy which is on our website. If you have any questions regarding your fundraising and the law, please call us on 01372 747500. We’ll be more than happy to help out.

If you are under 18

If you’re aged under 1, you must have your parent or guardian’s permission to fundraise and must be supervised.

Useful resources

Look Good Feel Better’s safeguarding policy 

Government guide on organising a voluntary event: Organising a voluntary event

Guidance on running an event safely from the Health and Safety Executive: Event safety – Running an event safely (

Safety Advisory Groups: Event safety – Local authority Safety Advisory Group (

Risk assessment template and guidance: Risk assessment: Template and examples – HSE

Contact us

If you have any more questions about your fundraising event then please get in touch. We’re here at every turn with all the help and information you need:

Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01372 747500